Diakonisches Werk (social work agency) in Darmstadt-Dieburg
Managing Director of the Princess Margaret Children's Clinics in Darmstadt
adesta is committed
Taking responsibility and being useful to others – adesta helps!
To accept responsibility and thus to be beneficial to society has been a guiding principle of adesta’s social and communal commitment from its beginnings. Social engagement has an effect, not only those receiving something, but also on those who are making an active contribution. Personal involvement on the part of our employees offers them the opportunity to influence something and often holds the promise of affecting a change in attitude or even being able to see things from a whole new perspective. That personal commitment has radiant power and is valuable, it is clearly visible in our individuals as well as in our surroundings.
Social Engagement at adesta
For over 35 years, the Darmstadt Women's Shelter has provided protection to women and their children who are affected or threatened by domestic violence. adesta has been supporting the Women's Shelter since 2010 through financial donations. To date, these donations have helped to finance the equipment in the children's and therapy rooms, as well as a minibus.
The Children's Clinic in Darmstadt has been a special cause for adesta since 2009: the treatment of most prematurely born babies, who come into the world before the 37th week of pregnancy, will be improved and made easier. adesta funded special medical equipment which can, for example, measure vein thickness and heart sounds, together with medicament nebulisers which enable medicine to be taken via the respiratory tracts.
In addition to donations in cash and kind, adesta has been actively helping the Darmstadt Food Bank since 2008: company employees are released from their work duties to assist the kitchen team at the Darmstadt Food Bank in preparing and serving lunch for the daily visitors. The preparations for the annual goose dinner in the Christmas period have a long tradition. This long-standing loyalty clearly shows that the employees actively assume responsibility for social concerns and that adesta has firmly anchored social commitment in its corporate policy.
Since 2011, adesta has been supporting the "Teestube Konkret" counselling service in the project "Krank auf der Strasse" (Ill on the street). The "Teestube" Team helps people who are homeless or at risk of losing their home, advises people who are seeking assistance, and provides medical care. The financial donations from adesta are used, for example, to purchase medicaments and bandages.
The Maltese Hospice Service in Darmstadt advises, helps and supports families containing seriously ill or dying children and adolescents. Since 2014, the donations from adesta have funded, for example, courses relating to voluntary hospice and palliative counselling services, supervisions for the volunteers, group meetings and events.
The organisation "Sag Ja zum Kind" (Say yes to children) was founded in Darmstadt in 1989 in order to help young women who unintentionally became pregnant while at school or when studying. The women receive child care support until their children start kindergarten. The donations from adesta were used to purchase toys, craft materials, furniture and a dishwasher.
The association helps serious ill children and adolescents together with their parents and siblings. It provides psychosocial and family therapy support, and is committed to ensuring that the financial and organisational burden on families is reduced. Since 2011, adesta has made financial donations which have been used to fund, for example, a work bench for promoting motoric development, instruments for music therapy and the extension of the therapy room for parents.
Association for children suffering from cancer and chronic illnesses
The charitable organisation "Womb to tomb" (German translation "Von der Wiege bis zur Bahre") was established in a slum area of the town of George in South Africa. The cash donations from adesta finance projects to help children from birth and education through to a job or to care for and support elderly and sick people.
Other organisations and projects which we regularly support:
- CARE (donation certificate)
- ISAR - Germany Search and Rescue-Teams (SAR)
- Darmstadt bleibt weltoffen (Darmstadt remains open-minded)
"We are supporting Amnesty International in the form of sponsorship because we focus on people. Accepting responsibility and generating benefits for social and equitable coexistence, worldwide."
Julia-Trixi Ravensberger, CSR Representative at adesta
Amnesty International is the world's largest movement which advocates human rights. Amnesty is independent of governments, political parties, ideologies, business interests and religions. In order to guarantee this independence, Amnesty International funds human rights work solely from donations and membership fees. Amnesty International's mission is to prevent human rights abuses and ensure respect for human rights all over the world. Bringing about specific changes in people's lives is a special concern that is pursued in every area of activity.
As an employer, adesta also sets standards for the coexistence of many people. adesta therefore ensures that very specific principles are observed in this coexistence. These principles have become the benchmark, for example the adesta Ethic Codes, the Diversity Charter and Global Compact. They combine legal compliance with our demand for ethical behaviour. In light of the above, adesta acts as a sponsor of Amnesty International in order to make an important contribution towards guaranteeing and protecting global human rights. True to our motto: Success is a question of attitude!
adesta's sponsoring certificate for Amnesty International
Since 2008 adesta has offered career planning for students in the 11th grade at a Darmstadt academic grammar school. Within the framework of the education partnership between the school and adesta, there have been many workshops covering the topic of “personality & career orientation.” The support of students preparing for their professional lives is something that is very dear to adesta and its employees.
In 2015, a new project called “Identify your Talents” was born. Here, the focus was on professionals already in the work force (academic as well as non-academic professionals). The goal is to make it possible for the participants to become more aware of their personal strengths through the use of aptitude testing procedures / types of tests and with these, be able to optimise their application strategies or increase their application chances. The project “Identify your Talents” ideally illustrated the professional core competencies of adesta paired with its commitment to the community.
Athletic Engagement at adesta
adesta has been a loyal supporter of the traditional Darmstadt football club since their days in the German third league. Through sponsoring of professional sports, adesta would like to make a conscious contribution to the development of team spirit, fair play and tolerance according to the company slogan, “Success is a matter of attitude.”
For the 2016 tennis season, adesta is the new main sponsor of the "adesta Darmstadt Open City Championships” and is happy to be able to contribute to the continued growth of tennis in the Darmstadt region. This commitment to athletics doesn’t come out of nowhere: adesta has long since made a commitment to sports clubs in the region and is sometimes also an active participant.
Think of tomorrow today!
adesta takes its function as a role model seriously and has been using renewable energies for years. We use green-electricity, our paper is made of 100% recycled material and our suppliers are nearby and located in the region. In addition, we are certified according to DIN EN 16247 (energy audit).
These are just a few examples of how we want to contribute to a healthy environment at adesta. The following presents further measures which we have already initiated and implemented in recent years.
Regardless, we will continue to drive and optimize our environmental responsibility in the future. We want to deal with the resources made available to us carefully and efficiently - see also point 8 of our Code of Conduct.
- The certification was carried out by TÜV Hessen according to DIN EN 16247.
- The energy audit according to the European standard DIN EN 16247 systematically analyzes the energy use and consumption.
- Our certificate is verified and confirmed within the framework of the regularly recurring external energy audit.
- Already for several years, adesta has been supplying its green-electricity via the local company entega.
- The entega green-electricity for commercial and business customers is regularly certified by TÜV Rheinland and is produced free of nuclear power and CO2-free which comes entirely from renewable energies.
- This makes the entega green-electricity for adesta the perfect building block for the sustainability strategy of our company.
- With the specialist disposal company EAD Darmstadt, we take care to properly dispose of our electrical waste as well as old or defective monitors according to RoHS guidelines. Our electrical appliances, computers, etc. are rendered unusable by the responsible employees in advance; All company-specific information is deleted.
- Since the Battery Ordinance took effect in 1998, GRS has been responsible for the collection and recycling of used batteries and accumulators all over Germany. adesta also uses this free service and disposes batteries and rechargeable batteries professionally. In our offices, we have placed battery containers at central locations. These are used by all employees and then disposed of directly via GRS.
- Also with regard to the IT sector, a lot has been done in the past! When purchasing our hardware, for years we have followed this criteria:
- Selection of regional wholesalers
- Purchasing of devices that are assembled directly in Germany
- Appropriate disposal of hardware and used toner by EAD Darmstadt
- In 2014, a consolidation and virtualization of the server and storage systems was carried out, reducing the power consumption by approx. 76%.
- By 2025, we have set the goal of reducing our already significantly reduced energy consumption by 20%, compared to the 2015 figures.
- With our paper purchases we always heed to using environmental friendly paper. Our copy paper is 100% recycled paper and comes from sustainable forestry. Our supplier also attaches great importance to care and sustainability when dealing with the resources in selecting their suppliers.